Sunday 15 January 2017

Week Two

Tuesday - 10 miles
Wednesday - 5 miles
Saturday - 3 hours (15.5 miles)
Sunday - 80 minutes (7.5 miles)


Monday this week was the tube strike, which resulted in me having to cycle 5 miles on a Boris bike to get to placement... I am so NOT a cyclist and nearly died several times plus had to drag the bike down steps/get off because I was lost/cry because I was scared of buses going past me/eat a Peanut Butter Kitkat Chunky to recover.  Still, crosstraining!! Right?!


I had my kidney assessment day on Tuesday which involved lots of injections, but on the plus side, I was all finished by 4pm.  I decided to go for a run afterwards as it was still light (just)!  Unfortunately I decided to 'save' Southwark Park for the end because that was the 'best bit', then by the time I got there it was locked and I had to run alongside a busy road in the dark.  Hmm.

Wednesday I got up at 5.15am for a trip to the wonderful Project Awesome.  They are the most tremendously supportive, positive and fun group of people who make exercise accessible to everyone, regardless of age or fitness, for free.  I often say PA was the key to everything good that  happened to me since I've been in London, and I really believe that.  You do have to be there at 6.30am though:

So, the Hat of Awesomeness.  I've seen it awarded to some absolute heroes, amazing and inspiring people who do far greater and more impressive things that I ever will.  It's like the FA Cup of Awesome.  It's hard to describe to people who haven't been there so suffice to say it was a ridiculously huge honour to be chosen to receive it this week:

 Photo credit:  Dave Finch

I look shocked in these pictures because I could hardly believe it and it was all I could do not to cry.  It's days later and I still don't feel I deserve to be in such hallowed company.  I've been wearing it everywhere - like the FA Cup you have to give it back! - so I'm making the most of it.

This weekend I went to Liverpool with Toby.  We'd found this lovely guy, John, who does running tours of Liverpool and we asked him to take us out together for 2 hours, then me on my own for another hour to see the sights of Liverpool.  As we ran, he gave us a running commentary on the history of Liverpool and all the things we were running past.  It was the BEST way to see the city - Toby is Liverpudlian but even he had never been to some of the places! and John was utterly lovely.  We had to stop for a photo opportunity:


Sunday was predicted to be extremely rainy, windy and cold, which was unfortunate, but I know from last year that you can't let the weather put you off your training plan or you're doomed.  I dutifully set the alarm for 7am and reluctantly dragged myself away from this:

to run along the harbour in the cold and wind (luckily the rain didn't materialise).  It seemed quite easy for the first few miles -  stopping for a photo opportunity at the Liver Building - but when I turned around and ran the second section directly into a 20mph headwind... let's just say that part wasn't quite such fun.

And everyone loves a run with a massive hill right at the end, don't they?

All in all, a good week.  Though I think my training plan might be overly brutal... I'm a bit worried I'm doing too many miles and risking injury.  I'm considering paying a coach to help me.  Desperate measures considering I'm a student but I've spent a fortune on kit, I think maybe it's time to spend some on expertise.  If anyone has any recommendations, please do get in touch.

1 comment: