Monday 12 June 2017

Meeting the surgeon

I thought I'd post a quick update on the kidney situation :)

The next step was meeting the surgeon who will be doing my operation.  This meeting was just after I finished my degree and took around 45 minutes.  I had my weight and blood pressure taken first, then went in to the surgeon's office.  We looked at the results of all my tests and discussed what they meant.  The surgeon confirmed that I was a suitable candidate and explained that my left kidney was the favourite to be removed.  It's the one that has the simple cyst on it (which is harmless) so that will be gone, and it also has only one artery (some people have two) which makes the procedure easier for him.  My left kidney is providing 49% of my kidney function and my right one 51% so I keep the better one, though there's not much in it! 

He also performed an examination of my abdomen so I got poked and prodded a bit.  He talked me through the operation again and explained the risks, especially post-surgery.  And that was basically it.  The next time I meet him will be the day of the operation!

We discussed that too and I am going to be in the July matching run, with the op likely to be in the first two weeks of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment