Sunday 18 September 2016

Update

After my last post, I did lots of thinking. I found out about Give A Kidney, a charity promoting living kidney donation. Their AGM was at the end of January, so I went along to meet some living donors and ask their advice. It was brilliant but the advice regarding squeezing my donation into a four-week window was largely, “You might be fine but there’s no guarantee”. I had several email conversations with people I’d met there afterwards. I spoke to my university tutor.

In the end, I decided the risk was too great. I spoke to the transplant coordinator and informed her I’d decided to wait until summer 2017, after I’ve completed my degree. We agreed to meet again in September.

September has finally rolled around. I slept for a week because clinical placement was exhausting. I realised with hindsight this would NOT have been a good time for an op. I went back to meet the transplant coordinator again. This time, it was all good. She was happy that I’d had longer to think about it and was still fervently keen. I was happy because waiting until summer 2017 meant I could take part in pooled donation. Pooled donation is quite new and is an amazing idea: some of the people on the waiting list have a friend/family member who are willing to donate to them but aren’t a match. I come along, give them my kidney, then their friend/family member gives theirs to someone else on the waiting list, then THEIR friend/family member gives theirs to someone else on the waiting list (who doesn’t need a donor). Thereby my kidney enables THREE people to get kidneys rather than just one — even better! However, you can only take part if you join a matching run, i.e. do it at a specific time of year, to fit in with the surgeons/other people/etc. Here’s a diagram:









Image courtesy of Give A Kidney

I had a bunch of blood tests, was weighed and measured, had my blood pressure taken and that was it. Two weeks later I got a call saying I had passed the initial tests and needed to arrange my medical assessment day and appointment with the consultant nephrologist.

These have been booked for January so there will be more news then!

No comments:

Post a Comment